Horse owners often worry about their horse’s weight. Whether it’s for a competition, show, or just general health, it’s vital to keep your horse at the top of their health and fitness game.
Each horse’s nutritional needs are different. That’s why it’s important to know what the best weight gain supplements for horses are. These supplements can help increase the weight of thin horses and support faster recovery and growth in young horses.
There are several ways that you can fatten up your horse. However, if you want to do it consistently and safely, then the use of weight gain supplements is the way to go. Read this article to find out more about the different types of supplements that are available on the market.
- Farnam Weight Builder Equine Weight Supplement is the best value for your money.
- Formula 707 Daily Equine Supplements – Best for Gaining Muscle.
- UltraCruz Equine Weight Gain Supplement – Best for High Performance.
- Adeptus Nutrition Gleam & Gain Supreme – Best for Healthier Coats.
- Purina Amplify High-Fat Horse Supplement – Best for Improved Stamina.
- Farnam Weight Builder Equine Weight Supplement – Best for Mature Horses.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Formula 707 Daily Equine Supplements is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Formula 707 Daily Equine Supplements||Check Price|
|UltraCruz Equine Weight Gain Supplement||Check Price|
|Adeptus Nutrition Gleam & Gain Supreme||Check Price|
|Purina Amplify High-Fat Horse Supplement||Check Price|
|Farnam Weight Builder Equine Weight Supplement||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Weight Gain Supplements for Horses
1. Formula 707 Daily Equine Supplements – Best for Gaining Muscle
- Specially formulated for all kinds of horses to sustain a balanced metabolism
- Loaded with vitamins and minerals
- East to use pre-assessed and sealed packs
- Highly palatable, apple-flavored crumbs contain vegetable fat to provide readily digestible calories that also boost energy
- Price: Check Price
This weight gain supplement is known as the everyday necessity for horses. The reason for the popularity of this formula worldwide is that it contains vitamins and minerals. It consists of all the necessary ingredients required for horses that will allow them to sustain healthy growth by activating and strengthening the digestive system and the mechanism of weight gain.
This is the ideal supplement to support horses who need treatment to gain and retain weight with the necessary amino acids that a horse utilizes to rebuild the lost or weakened muscles.
Many people have been loving and trusting this product for a fair price since the first time using it. It’s incredibly useful when the horse begins to gain more weight in the first few weeks (usually two weeks). Moreover, its easy-to-use packaging makes it easier to use regularly. You should trust this supplement because an accredited firm founded in 1946 has formulated it.
- Contains calorie-rich vegetable fat
- Vitamins fix dietary deficits and metabolic processes
- Improves mental health
- Added minerals help in skeletal maintenance
- Simple and moisture-free packaging
- Contains molasses
- The company does not ship this product out of the US
2. UltraCruz Equine Weight Gain Supplement – Best for High Performance
- Ideal for underweight horse performance horse in training
- Offers additional calories without raising the consumption of grains
- Contains Flax oil, which enhances digestive efficiency
- Comes in a one-gallon pack
- Price: Check Price
This special liquid supplement includes pure cold-pressed linseed oil and natural Vitamin E. It’s designed and formulated to supply your horse with an outstanding source of omega-3 fatty acids to balance its diet and encourage weight gain. It also enhances overall horse wellbeing without increasing the consumption of grain.
Ideal for all breeds at every stage of life and especially helpful for performance or underweight horses, your horse will love this liquid linseed oil supplement. People trust this product as it also supports a healthy and shiny hair coat.
In this supplement, Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant that encounters free radicals preventing the horse body from tissue damage. Vitamin E also plays a pivotal role in stabilizing arrhythmia, lowering blood pressure, and controlling cholesterol levels. It is undoubtedly a perfect supplement that can add weight without depending on sugars and starches to obtain the desired optimum effects.
- Contains blends of oil to boost energy levels
- Does wonders for horse skin and hair
- Affordable sugar-free formula
- Cures normal inflammation reactions
- Causes blood thinning in some cases
- Consuming higher amounts may trigger hyperactivity
3. Adeptus Nutrition Gleam & Gain Supreme – Best for Healthier Coats
- Nutritious granulated supplement for horses and shiny coat
- Right fats formula effective for performance, muscle mass, horse growth, and stallion fertility
- High omega-3 fatty acid content is readily digested and has natural anti-inflammatory effects
- Comes as a prebiotic basis for digestive relief
- Price: Check Price
Made up of 60% fat from highly digestible sources, Gleam and Gain are healthy weight gain feeds to add additional calories. It’s also an excellent conditioner for the horse’s hair, mane, and tail. Adeptus mixes rice bran, soybean oil, ground flax, and Docosa Hexaenoic Acid (DHA) in a fusion of nutrient-rich seaweed and gastrointestinal aid such as yeast strains.
Gleam and Gain are popular and unique for their supply of medium-chain triglycerides such as those found in coconut oil. These oils have high amounts of usable energy. They are known to help horses gain weight because breaking down would not require transport or burn many calories.
Since this supplement is prepared from a prebiotic yeast base that does not incorporate alfalfa or extra sugar, it is suitable for all horses, even those with metabolic problems.
- Functions as grain and forage at the same time
- Contains DHA for gaining weight and productivity
- Helps to produce an astounding shiny coat
- Contain some preservatives
4. Purina Amplify High-Fat Horse Supplement – Best for Improved Stamina
- Available in the form of bite-size nuggets
- High-fat supplements boost metabolism
- Provides a nutritional balance of vitamins, minerals, and proteins
- Good source of antioxidants
- Easily digested to increase the performance of hardworking horses
- Price: Check Price
Purina Amplify is one of the high-fat (healthy fat) foods with regulated starch extruded non-trans-fat dietary supplements. The product is among the top-rated and trusted weight supplements due to its beneficial ingredients. When consuming this, the horse is more capable of attaining weight as well as stamina.
This product will not disappoint you as it has good fats and calories that work wonders to improve metabolism, which will eventually allow the horse to gain more weight naturally.
This product is also a tremendous source of essential and antioxidants. After a week of using it, you don’t have to think about your beloved horse’s skin disorders since it is filled with a high source of fatty acids. With an adequate supply of Vitamin E and organic selenium, this formula is great to help recover from stress and improve the horse’s overall efficacy and health.
- A high-fat profile supplement improves the immune system of the horse
- Best for skin and coat
- Improves lactation in female horses
- Easy-to-digest nuggets improve the health of the gastrointestinal tract
- No trans fats added
- A high level of dosage can make your horse nervous
- Expensive compared to other known brands
- Contains a high amount of starch
5. Farnam Weight Builder Equine Weight Supplement – Best for Mature Horses
- Contain 50% fat for calorie addition and strong muscles
- Best for mature, underweight, and performance horses
- Available in the form of tasty powder
- No risk of digestive upset
- Price: Check Price
Feed researchers have realized the benefits of vegetable oils on a horse’s health for an extended period. Farnam Weight Builder is 50% fat and has added calcium. Therefore, when combined with regular diets and calcium, phosphorus ratios are not thrown out of equilibrium. It is readily metabolized and facilitates both weight gain and stability.
Ideal for competition horses, older horses, underweight horses, and veterans, the Farnam Weight Builder Equine Weight Horse Supplement will help your mare retain its ideal weight and body shape.
This potent powder supplement includes nutritious fats such as omega-3 to help your horse achieve its optimum weight and support healthy skin and a shiny coat. Top dress up this delicious powder on your horse’s grain every day to easily add calories without the possibility of digestive distress. With this supplement, horses will benefit from improved stamina, a healthier weight, and a sparkling coat.
- No sugar added
- Maintains body weight
- Provides calming energy for better performance
- Enriched with omega-three fatty acid
- Extremely concentrated formula increases calories in the high-grain diet without any risk
- Contains corn oil, which may trigger an allergic reaction in some horses
- Some horse owners reported that usage of the supplement makes their horse hot for a while
We all recognize that to feed our horses healthily and gain weight, the supply of fresh grass must be ample. However, fresh grass alone is not enough to provide a horse a healthy weight. To add weight for horses and tone muscles, a complete diet is necessary, and for this, it is best to seek dietary supplements. Before buying supplements, research the following aspects.
Horses require all the essential groups of nutrients to develop and gain weight. A renowned horse weight gain supplement designed to increase the animal’s weight should provide a reliable protein supply as it is responsible for building muscles. Also, to provide necessary energy and enhance performance, the supplement should contain starch and healthy fats.
Remember that the supplement you finally choose should meet your horse’s specific needs. There are several weight gain supplements with different base ingredients in the market. If you are searching for a supplement whose core function is just to help your horse gain weight, choose calorie-rich supplements specially designed for improvement in weight with increasing muscle mass.
For increased stamina, opt for supplements rich in fats and omega-3 fatty acids as they boost performance by delivering calm calories. Fats enriched supplements are used to maximize the caloric density of horse rations without raising the chances of colic, founder, or stomach discomfort due to the fermentation of starch from grains.
Possible Side Effects
If you have been struggling to get your horse to maintain weight, always look for those supplements causing no or least side effects. Most of the supplements available in the market are known for causing digestive disorders, including ulcers and hyperactivity in horses. So, it’s better to research than to regret.
It is ideal to use 4oz of formula a day to increase and maintain the weight. Horses with a higher level of exercise or under stress can use higher supplement levels without additional side effects. For a shiny coat and healthy skin, use only 2oz per day.
When you are buying a weight gain supplement, it’s vital to consider the age of the horse you’re purchasing a feed for. Older horses have a hard time swallowing daily food such as hay, grain, and pasture. If you have an old mare, it is essential to always go for high-fat, readily soluble feeds devoted to senior equines.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make my horse gain weight quickly?
The digestive system of the horse requires forage for the perfect supply of energy, so avoid the use of too many grain products. If you are unable to adjust the feed product, add a high-fat supplement to your horse’s daily meal. It will help to gain weight with an effective performance rate. Incorporating highly digestible fiber sources is also helpful for encouraging weight gain in horses. Studies have found that this also serves to increase the digestibility of the diet.
What can I feed my older horse to increase its weight?
Minimum 1% of the staple diet of older horses should be in the form of forage, such as hay or pasture for digestive health. Using full commercial feed or weight gain supplements that cater to the caloric needs of senior horses is also ideal. They are fiber-based, mostly alfalfa-based, but contain extremely palatable, dissolvable, and digestible materials along with energy sources of fat, vitamins, and minerals. Concentrate supplements can be essential for senior horses with bad teeth, particularly in the form of a mash.
How long does it take for a horse to gain weight?
Usually, it takes two weeks for a horse to initiate weight gaining along with a balanced feed. The weight gaining duration may vary according to the horse’s age and health condition.
How can I tell if my horse is overweight?
Fat deposits, hard crest, and hampered movements are the most common signs of being overweight. Weak horses have visible ribs. Meanwhile, if your horse’s ribs are not visible and difficult to detect, that might indicate your horse is overweight.
Why do horses lose weight?
In many circumstances, a horse loses weight because it just doesn’t consume enough calories. Other than this, there are several factors (mental and physical) due to which horses lose weight. The main reasons include improper or lack of a nutritious diet, age of the horse, poor water intake, metabolic issues, or any chronic pain, all of which can make a horse underweight.
The concept behind fattening up horses is simple: increase their calorie intake. However, it is not that simple. It takes time and effort to find the right combination of food and supplements. The supplements we’ve included in this list are reliable products.
Most users have had a satisfactory experience with them. If your horse still has trouble gaining weight, don’t hesitate to contact a nutritionist. Gaining weight can be tricky, but the whole experience is worth it. You’ll be happy when your horse trots in the pasture looking strong and healthy.