If you’re looking for high-quality horseshoe sets for the backyard, I’ve got you covered. Horseshoes is a fun outdoor game for all ages and skill levels. It’s a sport that’s been around for thousands of years, so it’s safe to say that it’s pretty simple yet challenging.
In this article, we have handpicked and reviewed the top 5 best horseshoe sets to help you find one that suits your needs. Hopefully, this article will make your choice easier and save you a lot of time.
- Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Rubber Horseshoe Set is the best value for your money.
- St Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set – Best for Professional Quality.
- Challenger Professional Pitching Horseshoes – Best for Easy Use.
- Viva Sol Premium Outdoor Horseshoes – Best for Premium Quality.
- Baden Champions Horseshoe Set – Best for Strong Grip.
- Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Rubber Horseshoe Set – Best for Indoor Use.
Our Top Overall Pick
- St Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|St Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set||Check Price|
|Challenger Professional Pitching Horseshoes||Check Price|
|Viva Sol Premium Outdoor Horseshoes||Check Price|
|Baden Champions Horseshoe Set||Check Price|
|Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Rubber Horseshoe Set||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Horseshoe Sets
1. St Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set – Best for Professional Quality
- The St. Pierre Horseshoe set is made up of forged steel material and weighs 2.25 lbs.
- The stake material is made up of steel and the stake length is 24 inches.
- The complete set includes 4 horseshoes, 24-Inch Solid Steel Stakes, one official rulebook, and a black plastic tote for carrying the set.
- The durable material of the set can withstand even the harshest of weather conditions.
- Unlike other sets, the horseshoe has a longer tip to grab the stake properly and a finger positioner for a better aim and hold.
- Price: Check Price
If you are looking for a set of horseshoes that is professional as well as affordable, then you have to go for the St. Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set. Firstly, because this set of horseshoes are extremely durable. Secondly, they are made of forged steel material that can withstand even the harshest weather and conditions. Even the stakes are very durable. They are made up of steel material so they will work properly for years and years.
This set also possesses an official rulebook which is perfect to help inexperienced players and beginners who want to gain their expertise in the game. And if you are someone with experience and skills on hand then this rulebook will help you polish them and brush up a bit on the rules. The most exceptional feature of this set is that the horseshoes are slimmer than the majority available in the market. It makes them easy to hold and grip. Because of the better grip, the users can get a much better aim, the throws are more accurate and ideal. The colors are vibrant and easy to distinguish which helps in scoring.
The only thing you need to be careful about is the plastic carrying case that comes with the parcel for free. It is spacious and can fit the shoes and stake easily but it is quite fragile. It can be easily broken if not taken care of.
- Durable material.
- Colors are easily distinguishable.
- The official rule book and plastic tote bag included without any charges.
- Slim profile.
- Fragile plastic case.
- Stakes are not long enough.
2. Challenger Professional Pitching Horseshoes – Best for Easy Use
- The Challenger Professional Pitching Horseshoes are made up of Iron Alloy material and weigh 2.5 lbs.
- The stakes are made up of cold-rolled steel and the stake length is 30 inches.
- This set is sanctioned for tournament and league use by the NHPA.
- The set comes with a 2-year official warranty against any breakage.
- The stakes of the set are much longer than the average sets available in the market.
- Price: Check Price
With the need for a new set of horseshoes, you need to decide the purpose of buying them. If you want to be a casual player, then any set would suit you. But if you want to invest as much as you can in the game and this game really interests you then you need to buy the Challenger Professional Pitching Horseshoes. These shoes are made keeping in mind the professional standard so when the player uses them it gives a sense of the professional match.
Initially, these shoes were NHPA sanctioned to be used in tournaments and leagues. They are also best for easy use. The horseshoes are comparatively thick, but they are extremely comfortable to throw. Since they are made up of Iron Alloy, they are a bit heavier than others. Because of the heaviness, they provide the player with a lot more momentum on each throw. They have a lot more sticking power than the other due to the added weights which makes getting more ringer comparatively easier.
The stakes are also of the highest quality. The length is a bit longer than the standard, which makes them durable as well as stable during the game. The stakes are made up of using cold-rolled steel material which prevents brakes more than the normal steel. The only thing you need to be careful about is that the set itself is not made up of steel, rather it is made using an Iron Alloy which makes them heavier and more brittle. If not used with care, the horseshoes could chip while throwing.
- Vibrant colors.
- NHPA sanctioned.
- Added momentum and durability.
- Added stability.
- No case or bag included in the set.
- Not as durable as steel.
3. Viva Sol Premium Outdoor Horseshoes – Best for Premium Quality
- The Viva Sol Premium Horseshoes Outdoor Game Set is made using forged steel and weighs 2.5 lbs.
- The stakes are made using stainless steel and the stake measures 24 inches in length.
- The overall set includes 4 horseshoes, 2 stakes, and 1 wooden case with a heavy-duty rope handle.
- The stakes are corrosion resistant and easy to install in the ground.
- There is foam padding in the wooden case that protects and holds the horseshoe and stakes in place.
- Price: Check Price
This horseshoe set is ideal for any gathering and any occasion whether it’s a graduation party, a Christmas party, a homecoming party or just you want to have some quality time with your friends and family. It is an ideal setting for your backyard game. To play the game in your backyard or you want to take it to a friend’s place then you have got an easy way. This set comes in an easy to carry case that is also quite stylish. The case is made using two-toned wood and has a high duty durable rope. The case also has foam padding inside it to make sure that the shoes and the stakes stay firm at their places and do not break off.
Not only is the case, but the horseshoes are too equally durable as they are made up of forged stainless-steel. Even the stakes are made up of stainless steel, so they offer the same durability as its other components. If they stay in the ground for a while, they still won’t get rusted or break on you any time soon.
The one thing that you need to be really careful about is the colors of the horseshoes. Despite the cool colors, they are not easily distinguished, which can cause a problem in identifying which horseshoes belong to whom and in turn, makes it difficult for the player to score especially in dull lightning.
- Heavy-duty material.
- Long-lasting stakes.
- Hard to distinguish colors.
4. Baden Champions Horseshoe Set – Best for Strong Grip
- The Baden Champions Horseshoe Set is made up of forged stainless steel and weighs 2.25 lbs.
- The stakes are made up of stainless steel and measure 24 inches in length.
- The whole set comes in a 680-denier durable nylon bag with reinforced pockets, dedicated storage compartments for horseshoes and stakes, and Velcro handles for easy carrying.
- The set includes 2 black colored forged steel horseshoes, 2 grey colored forged steel horseshoes, 2 stainless steel stakes, 1 680 deniers durable nylon bag with reinforced pockets and Velcro handle, and one official rule book.
- This horseshoe set is tested and approved by the NHPA.
- Price: Check Price
One of the most important aspects of a good horseshoe game is the grip. A good player will always find the right grip. The correct throwing motion Is the key to winning games more consistently. That is where these horseshoes come in. These horseshoes are very slim on their curve which facilitates a much comfortable and firmer grip. This firmer grip helps the inexperienced ones to improve their game. These shoes and all the stakes that come with them are also very durable. The forged steel prevents the shoes from breaking or bending despite their thinner profile.
These stakes are designed for short term use and to travel. They can withstand a lot of pressure. They are fine to use for shorter sessions however they will not be capable to stay in place for a longer period of time. They come equipped with a good quality nylon bag that keeps all the parts of the set safe and secure while you are traveling with them. The bag has a good quality zipper as well which makes it more durable.
- Rip resistant nylon bag.
- Easy to grip.
- Short stakes.
- Stakes will not stay in the ground longer.
5. Champion Sports Indoor/Outdoor Rubber Horseshoe Set – Best for Indoor Use
- The Champion Sports IHS1 Rubber Horseshoe Set is made up of plastic and weighs 1 lb only.
- The stakes are also made up of plastic.
- The horseshoes are ideal for indoor and outdoor play as the plastic material will not damage the walls or the floor of the house.
- The set includes 4 horseshoes, 2 rubber mats with center pegs, and 2 red plastic dowels.
- The horseshoes and the pegs are bright-colored to make visibility easier for the players.
- Price: Check Price
Since most of the horseshoes are made keeping in mind the adult population, that doesn’t mean that the kids can not enjoy the game. Giving them forged steel or stainless-steel horseshoes can cause damage to the surroundings and can injure them too. That is where this set of horseshoes comes in. Unlike all the other brands, these horseshoes are not made up of metal or any other heavy-duty material but instead, they are made from a durable and lightweight rubber material.
The shoe weighs 1 pound per piece, so a younger player can also carry them easily and get the necessary distance without compromising the safety of oneself or the others. Another feature that makes this set exceptional and unique from the others is that they are extremely easy to set up. The stakes are a lot shorter than the others that makes it a lot easier for the player to push them into the ground.
The horseshoes also come equipped with rubber mats that you can place on the ground. This rubber mat makes the installation process much faster and it also prevents the shoes from bouncing too much once they reach the mat. The only thing you need to be careful with is that these lightweight shoes and stakes do not stay in the ground for a longer time and are not really durable. They won’t be able to stand much use. These shoes will keep your child safe and secure while enjoying their best time.
- Easy to install.
- Easy to grip.
- Safer to play with.
- Stakes are not very durable.
- Not ideal for professional players.
The first and the foremost thing that you need to focus on is the material that is used to make the horseshoes. Essentially, there are three types of material that you need to choose from.
Forged SteelForged steel should always be your first option as they are incredibly durable. They are just the right weight which makes them much easier to throw and hold. They are quite expensive though.
IronThis material is considered the most traditional in the making of horseshoes. They are extremely durable and reliable. They are light in weight and chips faster than their steel counterparts.
RubberRubber horseshoes usually are the best for the kids to play with. They are much safer than other options. They are light in weight so they can be easily used by the younger players. They are quite durable and prevent any damage from being done to the inexperienced ones.
The second feature is the weight of the horseshoes. Usually, the sets are between 2 pounds or 2 pounds and 6 ounces. These heavier sets are ideal to use for adults or teenagers since they require a bit more strength. However, the sets for kids should weigh a bit less than that.
Color of the Horseshoes
You need to make sure that you go for a set that has at least two different colors. This makes it easier to for the player to score up the different throws.
The stake is the most important component of a horseshoe set as it is the one getting hit by the shoes. Make sure that you get one that is long enough to withstand the punishments.
This is the feature you need to be very considerate about. You want something that offers rigidity, something that can take on the pressure of the horseshoes without bending and breaking. The material also has to be rust-resistant for more durability.
Carrying Bag and CasesIf you like to take your horseshoes sets at places with you then you need to make sure that you buy something that comes with a good and long-lasting case or bag. A good carrying bag or case makes it a lot easier to carry them around.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which horseshoe set is best?
We recommend the St Pierre Sports American Professional Horseshoe Set as it boasts a high quality construction and can be used to prepare even amateurs for professional play.
Which material of the horseshoe is more durable?
Steel models are the most durable. Iron models are durable too, but they are a bit more brittle.
How deep should the stakes be put into the ground?
The stakes should go enough deep into the ground that only 15 inches are above the ground.
Can you play horseshoes on grass?
Yes, you can play horseshoes on grass too. It may not slide as well and can get caught on the grass but it’s no big deal unless you are trying to go pro.