Horse halters are a necessary accessory in any equestrians tack set. They come in a variety of types and different sizes with a wide range of colors and the materials used are typically nylon and leather. The biggest difference among halters are what they’re designed to be used for and their durability.
To help you purchase the best horse halters, we have created this handy, dandy buyer’s guide that will give you all the information you need to make the right decision when making your purchase. We’ve provided you a list of the top five horse halters available on the market today, each one of which has been tried and tested by our team and has been given a clear stamp of approval.
- Weaver Leather Adjustable Nylon Horse Halter is the best value for your money.
- Weaver Leather Adjustable Nylon Horse Halter – Best for Daily Riding.
- Weaver Leather Basic Adjustable Halter – Best for Turnout.
- Weaver Leather Padded Breakaway Halter – Best for Easygoing Horses.
- Derby Originals Desert Rose Collection Horse Halter – Best for Reflective Trim.
- ProRider Nylon Horse Nylon Padded Halter – Best for Easy Cleaning.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Weaver Leather Adjustable Nylon Horse Halter is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Weaver Leather Adjustable Nylon Horse Halter||Check Price|
|Weaver Leather Basic Adjustable Halter||Check Price|
|Weaver Leather Padded Breakaway Halter||Check Price|
|Derby Originals Desert Rose Collection Horse Halter||Check Price|
|ProRider Nylon Horse Nylon Padded Halter||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Horse Halters
1. Weaver Leather Adjustable Nylon Horse Halter – Best for Daily Riding
- Made of premium nylon fabric
- Has an unusual triple-ply cheek design
- Box specifically stitched to minimize stress at pressure points and enhance strength
- Durable brass hardware
- Oval buckle holes and margins are heat-sealed
- Price: Check Price
This product is made up of nylon material that has high abrasion and is lightweight. It is also damage-resistant. The manufacturers provide a wide spectrum of colors according to the taste of every owner. This horse halter is easy to handle and provides good grasping power. The triple-ply cheek design enhances the durability of this halter.
The hardware consists of brass that enhances the compressive strength. Furthermore, the fabric is lightweight and has a soft composition that helps reduce pressure marks. This type of halter is machine washable and requires easy maintenance.
- Distributes stress equally well
- Nylon has a high tensile strength
- Hardware made up of brass increases its strength and longevity
- Elegant design
- May exert too much pressure on the horse’s head at times
- Sensitive horses may not be accepting of this product
2. Weaver Leather Basic Adjustable Halter – Best for Turnout
- Double-ply premium nylon construction that is one inch wide
- A sewn together snap hook for easy opening and closing
- Heat-sealed oval buckle holes
- Brass-plated hardware
- Price: Check Price
Weaver Leather provides us another version of their product with this basic adjustable halter. It has more or less the same features compared to their Weaver Leather Original Adjustable Nylon Halter. The exclusive features of this product include double-ply formation. Also, the box is stitched at pressure points for added strength. The hardware is heavy-duty brass plated. The brand provides this halter at an economical price with a wide range of colors and sizes. For instance, a 1-inch small horse has a size 17-1/2″ – 21 -1/4″ for the crown with 10″ and 7″ for nose and cheek, respectively. Similarly, the throat size is 9-3/8″ – 13-1/2″. Likewise, are the measurement for the 1″ average horse and 1″ large horse.
This dependable webbing halter is specially designed for enhanced strength and durability. The high-quality and trendy bright colors make it a unique product. The manufacturer recommended a weight-size chart, as all horses have their unique features and size. For the small horses of 500-800 lbs., average horses up to 800-1100 pounds, and approximately 1100-1600 pounds. for large horses – these ratios help you to easily figure out the size of your horse. The halter is manufactured with premium nylon material with oval buckle holes and also an adjustable strap for the chin.
- Highly reliable with perfect adjustability
- The box is stitched for additional strength at stress points
- The chin strap has high adjustability
- Reasonable price
- The extreme edge of the throat clip may rub into the skin
3. Weaver Leather Padded Breakaway Halter – Best for Easygoing Horses
- Made of high-quality polypropylene
- Easily modifiable
- PVC-coated foam rubber design
- Price: Check Price
The weaver leather padded breakaway halter is easy to adjust and designed in a way to avoid excessive pressure marks. That is due to its stuffing of foam rubber that resists any possible harm to the sensitive areas of the horse’s face. The breakaway is the exclusive feature that lets your horse get free immediately, if required, such as in an emergency situation.
Moreover, it has a coating of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) that has a good impact on the overall features of this halter. Additionally, it has a breakaway fuse. This is the exceptional property of this design that makes it unique. The leather halter demands daily maintenance. For this, it is recommended to routinely clean and lubricate it. This will increase their shelf life.
- Breakaway fuse
- PVC-coated foam with rubber stuffing helps to hold it in place for a longer duration
- Prevents stress marks
- Easy to adjust
- May be a bit small for some horses
- Not suitable for easily scared horses
4. Derby Originals Desert Rose Collection Horse Halter – Best for Reflective Trim
- Black-plated nickel hardware stunningly engraved
- 360° rolled reflective surface trim
- For a horse, a 10′ lead and mini horse consists of 7′ lead
- The matching outline consists of a lead rope and a halter
- Price: Check Price
The brand manufacturers provide the exclusive, ultra-premium halter line that is specifically designed featuring remarkable black hardware. This breathtaking product has a wide range of colors, including cactus green, coral, red sand, turquoise, and midnight black. The desert rose halters give four size ranges as for mini horse, Cob/Arab, full horse, and the oversize or warmblood to fit practically any horse. This premium halter is easy to keep maintained with high adjustability.
Moreover, the dimensions of this halter are 12 × 10 × 4 inches with a weight of 2 pounds. Nylon is used in its manufacturing. It is recommended for the uni-sex adult. The safety is enhanced because of its unique design. The adjustable nose and crown make it fit your horse head perfectly. It features a unique 360° rolled reflective surface trim to improve visibility from every angle and help safeguard your horse when around jammed events or traffic. Each set consists of matching lead rope formulated thick plush, ultra-soft braided poly rope.
- Adjustable noseband and crown for a great fit
- Easy maintenance required
- It can fit multiple horses and enhance safety
- A bit pricy
5. ProRider Nylon Horse Nylon Padded Halter – Best for Easy Cleaning
- Heavy-duty nickel-plated brass hardware
- Made up of premium nylon material
- Neoprene stuffing provided
- Price: Check Price
The ProRider manufactures a remarkable nylon halter with exclusive features. It is double stitched for increased durability and is made up of heavy nickel-plated brass hardware. The nylon halters are usually easy to clean and maintain. These also cost a little pricey as compared to other leather halters. Moreover, neoprene padding along with the cheeks and nose are added for extra comfort.
The dimensions of the product in terms of length × width × height is 11.14 × 7.28 × 3.74 inches with a package weight of 0.93 kilograms. The brand also gives matching color crystals along with the nose and cheeks for additional bling. It also features a matching lead rope. Furthermore, the nylon material used has easy maintenance as it can be washed in the machine, and you do not need to take extra care of it.
- The stainless steel is rust-free
- Have good adaptability
- Extra padding adds up to comfort level at stress points
- The durability becomes a terrible flaw when stuck with some object
- Using nylon made halter makes it almost impossible to set free your horse if needed
Different Purposes of Halters
- Leather halters are preferable for their traditional looks and are ideal for trailering. To maintain this halter, it is preferred to routinely clean and lubricate it. It will increase its shelf life.
- Nylon halters are lightweight and durable.
- Breakaway halters are best in emergencies. The unbuckling feature has made it unique and important.
- Rope halters are used for training and other horse exercises. However, these are not suitable for prolonged usage as they may cause severe burns when used constantly. Also, there is no hardware present in the rope halters that add up to improve the comfort level of the horse.
There are different types of materials used in the manufacturing of these halters. Some are made up of nylon, and some are PVC coated, having rubber stuffing for more comfort and feasibility. Plastic material is also used in designing these halters. Every one has a specific feature that enhances the durability along with the side effects.
The fitting differs. Some halters consist of a solid brass snap, while others have a chain that attaches to a halter. The best-fitting product has long-lasting durability and strength and is also safe for both – the horse and the handler. As all the horses belong to a somewhat different classification, they have got different sizes. So, not all halters fit the multiple horses.
The basic idea of understanding this feature is the number of layers combine to improve and add up more strength. This property should be there as it provides additional support.
The halter should be made such that the quality and durability remain balanced. A lead cord is attached to handle the animal. Rope halters have sufficient durability that enhances their strength, and riders can opt for this halter if they are looking for the maximum durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best halter for a horse?
First of all, you should consider the classification of your horse to choose the best halter for your horse. This is not an easy task, finding the best halter for your horse. For this purpose, you should carefully follow the guide provided by authorized sites regarding “How to select a horse halter?” or “What are the features to consider while choosing a halter for your horse?” Among the top listed products, the Weaver Leather Padded Breakaway Halter is the best one.
Can you leave a halter on a horse?
It is a basic part of grooming that horses will seek their handler’s attention to take the halter off if the handler forgets. It is not safe to leave a halter on a horse. It may cause serious trouble. No doubt, nylon has remarkable strength, but it will be a terrible problem if this halter accidentally stuck to some object. So, to be on the safe side, it is best not to leave it on a horse.
What are horse halters used for?
The basic function of a halter is to tie up animals and other livestock. However, manufacturers have worked on the manufacturing process to increase their functions. These are now so commonplace that you can even use a rope halter for riding, though it’s not the best choice.
What is a breakaway horse halter?
A breakaway halter is specially designed to unbound easily in any hastening situation. These mostly consist of a lead cord with certain breakpoints for easy unbuckling and leather material enhancing their aesthetic look. As compared to leather halters, these are more durable in terms of releasing it in urgency. It is the best alternative for easygoing horses.
How should a halter fit a horse?
There are four steps to fit a halter on a horse. You should adjust the crown piece first, which is close to the ears. The noseband adjustment is the next step. You should fit it in a way that the horse doesn’t feel any discomfort while breathing. Then, place the throat lash and cheekpieces in the desired positions.
This is the simplest way to fit a halter on a horse, keeping precautionary measures in view.