A fly sheet is an essential tool for the well-being of your horse – it protects your horse from all sorts of irritants like bugs, mosquitos, and biting insects. Some sheets are even effective against harmful UV light radiations. Since picking out the perfect fly sheet for your horse can be a bit tricky we have provided you with a list of the best choices on the market and a detailed buying guide so you can thoroughly compare and contrast to choose the best flysheet for your horse.
- TuffRider Sport Mesh Standard Neck Fly Sheet is the best value for your money.
- Shires Sweet-Itch Combo Sheet – Best for Lightweight Protection.
- Kensington Platinum SureFit Fly Sheet – Best for Maximum Protection.
- CHALLENGER 70″ Fly Sheet Mesh UV Neck – Best for Full Body Coverage.
- TuffRider Sport Mesh Standard Neck Fly Sheet – Best for Breathability.
- Professional’s Choice 76″ Fly Sheet – Best for Durability.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Shires Sweet-Itch Combo Sheet is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Shires Sweet-Itch Combo Sheet||Check Price|
|Kensington Platinum SureFit Fly Sheet||Check Price|
|CHALLENGER 70" Fly Sheet Mesh UV Neck||Check Price|
|TuffRider Sport Mesh Standard Neck Fly Sheet||Check Price|
|Professional's Choice 76" Fly Sheet||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Fly Sheets for Horses
1. Shires Sweet-Itch Combo Sheet – Best for Lightweight Protection
- Crafted from high quality 600 deniers protective rip-stop fabric
- Comes with a flexible ear panel to provide hassle-free grazing
- Interior of the fly sheet is lined to prevent irritation, especially on the neck, chest, and shoulders
- Contains fillet and tail straps with alterable surcingle around the belly
- Provides ultimate protection against biting insects and bugs
- Price: Check Price
Shires Sweet Combo Sheet is made from the best quality 600 deniers rip-stop material that provides extra protection against UV light rays and prevents fading of the coat. It offers surcingle straps on the belly, touch tape closures on the neck, and adjustable buckles on the chest for maximum protection. They help to keep the fly sheet in its place.
The ear panels are an interesting addition to this combo as they provide defense against insects between the ears. They also make sure that your horse can graze without constraint. The shoulder gussets ensure freedom of articulation of the horse. The interior of the flat sheet is thoroughly lined, which provides comfort to your horse.
- Secure flaps and straps on the neck, belly, and chest keep the sheet in its place
- Material is super light and breathable while the rip-stop fabric prevents wear and tear
- Provides protection against UV rays, biting insects, and bugs
- The inner lining is comfortable for all weather
- Ear panels are a great addition for maximum coverage
- Face and lower legs remain exposed to the insects
- The ear panel slips off and covers the horse’s eyes
2. Kensington Platinum SureFit Fly Sheet – Best for Maximum Protection
- Crafted from high-quality Textilene fabric with 73% UV index
- Reduces shedding and dullness and prevent fading of coat
- Renders extra protection against biting insects and against flies
- Comes with other protective products
- Lifetime guarantee in ensured
- Price: Check Price
Kensington SureFit Fly Sheet is made from high-quality Textilene fabric. This fabric is woven polyester with PVC coating that provides ultra-protection against harmful UV rays. Thus, it prevents the fading of the coat and keeps it shiny and soft. 1000 x 2000 Denier Textilene is resistant to dangerous mildews and can also withstand dry and wet weather conditions.
This fly sheet comes in with buckle and adjustable snap-front chest cessations and 2″ snaps and D’s design belly straps, along with detachable leg straps. It provides a slim fit and is easy to put on and take off. The durable and tough fly sheet is effective against biting insects as well.
- Textilene material provides protection against UV rays
- It protects the horse from biting insects, mildews, and grime
- It is easy to put on and take off with adjustable and detachable straps
- Prevents fading and dullness of the coat
- Resistant to all weather conditions
- It is made from polyester-woven Textilene material that is not waterproof
3. CHALLENGER 70″ Fly Sheet Mesh UV Neck – Best for Full Body Coverage
- Made from supreme quality breathable poly-nylon mesh
- Provides maximum protection against biting insects and bugs
- Renders safety from harmful UV light rays
- Covers the tail and contains leg straps for maximum protection
- Has buckles at the neck and surcingle to keep the sheet at its place
- Price: Check Price
CHALLENGER 70″ Fly Sheet is created from durable poly-nylon material. Soft nylon material is lightweight and sustainable, making it a great choice for variable weather conditions. It is also breathable and abrasion-resistant. The additional leg straps and tail cover provide full-body protection against harmful mosquitos and bugs. It is also effective against dangerous UV light radiation.
The front buckles and flexible surcingle at the belly help the sheet to secure its position. The shoulder gussets provide ease of movement in any direction.
- Poly-nylon is an abrasion-resistant and durable material
- The leg straps and tail covers provide full-body coverage
- Provides protection against bugs, insects, and UV rays
- Front buckles and surcingle are adjustable
- Shoulders gussets are important for freedom of motion
- Poly-nylon is not suitable for hot weathers
- Nylon is not a good sweat absorber
4. TuffRider Sport Mesh Standard Neck Fly Sheet – Best for Breathability
- Manufactured from tough and porous polyester fabric
- Provides efficient protection against biting insects and mosquitos
- Renders safety from harmful UV light radiations
- The soft inner lining is comfortable and prevents irritation
- Front buckles, belly surcingle, removable leg straps, and tail flap provide full-body coverage and maximum protection
- Price: Check Price
TuffRider Sport Neck Fly Sheet is made from soft and highly breathable polyester material. It provides maximum protection against insects, mosquitos, and bugs. The polyester fabric has a 50% UV light index that provides effective protection. The comfortable inner lining is soft and prevents irritation.
It contains high-quality stainless steel buckles at the front and a cross surcingle on the lower belly. Also, it comes with leg straps and tail flaps to provide full-body protection. It is easy to clean and machine washable.
- Polyester is a soft and highly breathable material
- Provides ultimate protection against bugs and insects
- Ensures safety from UV light radiations
- The soft inner lining prevents rubbing and irritation
- It is easy to wash and maintain
- Polyester fabric is not very durable may wear and tear
- It is not comfortable for all weathers
5. Professional’s Choice 76″ Fly Sheet – Best for Durability
- It is crafted from high-quality rip-stop polyester material that has a nylon mesh
- Provides ultimate protection against UV light radiations
- Contains front dual-buckle cessations, surcingle, and leg straps
- Soft inner nylon line and supple fleece on the withers renders comfort
- Ensures safety from bugs, insects, and mosquitos
- Price: Check Price
The Fly Sheet by Professional’s Choice is made from polyester, and its nylon mesh makes it more strong and durable. It is extremely breathable and does not wrinkle or tear away. It provides supreme protection against UV light radiations. Additionally, it ensures safety from harmful biting insects and bugs.
Its frontal dual buckle closures provide a contoured fit. The surcingle has a special West Coast design, and the leg straps ensure complete body coverage. The inner, soft nylon lining and fleece on the withers prevents irritation and rubbing on the coat.
- The nylon mesh of the polyester renders great protection from UV rays
- Dual front buckles keep the fly sheet in its place
- Keeps away biting bugs and insects
- Nylon inner lining and fleece prevents rubbing on the coat
- Polyester is a durable and sturdy material
- Nylon is not suitable for warmer weathers
- Available for standard size only
Fly & UV Protection
The purpose of a fly sheet is to provide maximum protection against UV rays and biting insects. A fly sheet covers the sensitive belly region of your horse. Some fly sheets come in with leg straps and tail flaps to provide maximum coverage. To cover the face and eyes, you may have to buy detachable fly masks.
Some synthetic fabric fly sheets are highly porous and breathable to allow effective evaporation of sweat during summers. The spaces do not allow the entry of bugs and insects, but they are not waterproof and are not effective in rainy seasons.
Fitting & Comfort
When it comes to fitting the fly sheets, you have to make sure that your fly sheet completely fits your horse like a cotton or polyester sheet. Make sure that your sheet has buckles at the neck and surcingle at the belly to keep the sheet in its place. Some sheets also have leg straps and tail flaps to cover the maximum body surface.
Make sure that your sheet has inner nylon lining or fleece at the withers to prevent rubbing off and irritation. Better quality fly sheets have shoulder gussets that allow freedom of movement.
Fly sheets are usually made from synthetic materials like polyesters with a nylon mesh for protection against UV rays or Trielene material with PVC coating. Polyester is much softer and Trielene, like fabric, is not soft but highly durable. Whenever you are buying fly sheets, always look for light-weighted, airy, and breathable fabrics. You should keep in mind that not all breathable fabrics are waterproof and not all durable material is a perfect fit.
When you are choosing a perfect fly sheet, you will have to make sure that you go for lighter colors because they are good at reflecting UV rays, and darker colors, on the other hand, absorb them.
When your horse is outdoors, your fly sheets prevent it from soiling and dirt. You definitely need to wash your sheets before the next use. The best way to clean is with a hosepipe as soon as it gets dirty. Or you can also machine wash as per the directions of the manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best fly sheet for horses?
The best choice is the Shires Sweet-Itch Combo Sheet; it provides maximum protection against UV light radiations and provides safety against bugs and insects. The high-quality rip-stop polyester fabric is super breathable and light-weighted. It also has an inner lining to prevent rubbing of the coat. Furthermore, it comes with ear panels to provide maximum coverage.
When looking for maximum body coverage and the most breathable sheets, TuffRider Sport Mesh Standard Neck Fly Sheet is the best choice. It is made from polyester fabric that provides maximum protection against UV rays. The inner nylon lining of the sheets is soft and comfortable and prevents rubbing off.
What is a fly sheet for horses?
When your horse goes outdoors, the flies, biting insects, and bugs can be extremely irritating, and at the same time, can cause harm to your horse. You can add a barrier between these irritating insects and bugs and your horse by having a fly sheet. Fly sheets are an important tool for safeguarding your horse against UV light radiation, which causes the fading of the coat and can also cause sunburn.
It also blocks out irritants that can cause allergic reactions like mildew. Additionally, it restrains disease-carrying insects like mosquitos from biting your horse. Overall, it ensures the well-being and good health of your horse. Make sure it is made from breathable material that allows evaporation and sweating in summers.
How do you measure a horse for a fly sheet?
When buying a fly sheet for your horse, perfect fitting is crucial, and for that, you will need precise measurements of your horse. First, you should take a flexible measuring tape and make your horse stand squarely on a flat surface. Then, start taking your measurements from the center of the chest to the point of the horse’s rump, moving along the left side. Make sure your sheet is not tight over the withers and chest straps are not suffocating.
Can you put a fly sheet on a wet horse?
Ideally, it is not preferable to put a fly sheet over a wet horse, but if it is raining and you expect that the temperature will fall further, then it is okay to use it. The sheet will absorb most of the water, and the rest of the moisture will evaporate soon. Putting a fly sheet over your horse also carries the potential risk of developing a rain scald. On the other hand, cold may cause colic. So, it is risky either way, but it is still much better to cover your horse with a fly sheet in freezing temperatures.
Can horses wear fly sheets in the rain?
When talking about rain, mostly fly sheets are of no use because they are made of synthetic material that contain tiny pores for breathability. That is why rainwater can move through them very easily. It is not good to put a soaked fly sheet over an already drenched horse. It may also lead to various skin infections like rain scald.