When it comes to purchasing a fly mask, owners will typically opt for the best product as it’s very important for their horse’s comfort. Many items are related and have more or less the same features, but there are some key differences between the masks that are important to understand so you can make an informed purchase.
Below is a list of the best fly masks on the market and what they excel at.
- Pro-Force Equine Fly Mask is the best value for your money.
- Professionals Choice Breakaway Fly Mask – Best for Vision and UV Protection.
- Noble Outfitters Guardsman Fly Mask w/Ears – Best for Extra Protection.
- SuperMask II Horse Fly Mask – Best for Repelling Insects.
- Opti-Force Equine Fly Mask – Best for Insect Shield.
- Pro-Force Equine Fly Mask – Best for UV Protection.
Our Top Overall Pick
- Professionals Choice Breakaway Fly Mask is our pick based on value, durability and utility.
|Professionals Choice Breakaway Fly Mask||Check Price|
|Noble Outfitters Guardsman Fly Mask w/Ears||Check Price|
|SuperMask II Horse Fly Mask||Check Price|
|Opti-Force Equine Fly Mask||Check Price|
|Pro-Force Equine Fly Mask||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Fly Masks
1. Professionals Choice Breakaway Fly Mask – Best for Vision and UV Protection
- Gray color
- It has a fleece lining
- There is smooth and breathable mesh
- It has hook and loop closures
- Over the eye, this mask has elevated darts
- Price: Check Price
This fly mask is made from smooth mesh has very high breathability. This unique feature of this dynamically designed mask provides your horse the maximum comfort. There are hook and loop closures present around the area for the horse’s ears. Similarly, there are two closures under the throat latch, made up of elastic material. In order to keep the sensitive areas of your horse protected, the elevated darts are there present over the eyes. A soft and smooth fleece covering prevents rubbing.
This exclusive product in the market gives your horse extra protection from UV rays. Also, it is quite beneficial if your horse got an eye infection. This mask provides maximum safety. It not only keeps the flies away but also fits comfortably for many sizes of horses. However, it’s a bit small for large horses. Otherwise, the features of this mask make it unique and reliable among other similar products.
- This mask provides good protection from UV rays
- It keeps away all flies and other insects
- It fits perfectly
- For big horses, it may not be that comfortable
2. Noble Outfitters Guardsman Fly Mask w/Ears – Best for Extra Protection
- The material used for the manufacturing of this fly mask is mesh
- Flex spline technology creates a perfect separation to keep the mask away from the horse’s eyes
- It has a UV-coated mesh prepared with anti-rub property
- It has a two-sided loop and hook closures
- The mask has a uniquely designed contoured fit
- Price: Check Price
The brand manufacturers have designed this fly mask with ears for additional comfort. Furthermore, they created a partition away from the eyes of the horse for convenience. There is fleece lining present on the nose piece and crown and a removable nose piece that gives UPF 25+ protection. This helps to limit the penetration of insects. The bridle loop has easy hanging that carries a lot of stuff and is pretty good for storage purposes. You can also use it with a saddle or halter. This fly mask will last longer due to its anti-rub guard split safety. It has UV-coated mesh that does not allow UV rays to injure sensitive parts of the horse.
The extraordinary characteristic of this fly mask is the see-through property. It is effective in curing sore spots in some cases. The scratchers probably have the highest rate of tearing this mask; it would be great for this category to purchase a fly mask with ears. The clear vision is the unique feature of this mask.
- Double-sided closures provide a safe fit
- The contoured fit prevents insects from entering the mask
- This mask provides good UV protection
- The soft mesh around the ears provides extra comfort
- For scratching horses, it can get torn very easily from the ear side
3. SuperMask II Horse Fly Mask – Best for Repelling Insects
- This mask has a custom-made horse-proof double latch closure
- It is built to last, fit, and stay on
- It does not hinder vision
- The mask helps in the healing process after an eye injury
- It is suitable for all life stages
- Price: Check Price
This fly mask has a special design that enables it to stay on the horse’s face for a longer time. It is highly durable and effective. The brand manufacturers have specially designed it for extended coverage for extra protection to your horse’s facial parts. It fits perfectly on your horse’s face and comes in various sizes.
This unique product has the special property of keeping away all insects. The distinctive feature is the double latch closures, which have proven that it stays and does not rip off easily.
The easy direction of this mask is to start by opening the latch. Then, hold the top side of the mask near the ear and gently pull it down after opening the forelock. The next step is to bring the right side of the latch, reaching under the horse’s neck to the left side. It is best to check the comfort and security once you attach it snugly and adjust accordingly if needed. One should be careful when removing this fly mask and do so gently. If you rip it suddenly, the sound produced may frighten your horse. You should remove the mask every night for better results.
- The extended coverage provides extra protection to facial parts
- The double latch closures prevent ripping it off
- It provides extra protection from dirt, debris, and flies
- It provides additional comfort without rubbing
- It is a good option for eye injuries
- The ripping sound may frighten your horse
- If you don’t remove the mask at night, it may cause an eye infection
4. Opti-Force Equine Fly Mask – Best for Insect Shield
- The mask provides maximum protection from harmful rays
- It also gives defense against insect bites that may cause possible disease
- Its Insect Shield Repellent provides extra care
- It is long-lasting because of the good quality of material used in manufacturing
- The Equi-Glo Nite Reflector makes it easy to see the horse in the dark
- Price: Check Price
This product has attracted consumers’ attention. This item has a special feature, i.e., “Insect Shield Repellent,” that is treated with permethrin (active ingredient) insect repellent. It provides maximum protection from harmful ultraviolet rays and insects such as mites, ticks, flies, etc. Besides, the clear vision view mesh is highly durable and resists tears. One more important feature that makes this product unique from others is the Equi-Glo Nite Reflector, which makes it easy to see the horse in the dark.
This horse fly mask protects the horse from infectious diseases that may harm their health. Most of the viral infections are caused by entering from the enteral route. So, for precautionary purposes, it is best to cover the face of the horse properly.
- UV protection
- Insect Shield Repellent
- Adjustable fit for comfort
- Equi-Glo Nite Reflector
- You can use it during the night too
- Permethrin may cause mild skin irritation and burn
- It is better to remove the mask at night so that the horse’s vision doesn’t face obstruction
- The active ingredient used in the reflector may enhance insect growth
5. Pro-Force Equine Fly Mask – Best for UV Protection
- This mask prevents friction and rubbing
- It is highly durable with extra comfort
- It has a strong, clear-view vision mesh
- The mask is highly reliable
- It has a double locking fastener and fleece-lined trim
- Price: Check Price
When it comes to buying a mask for the horse, there are a lot of similar products available in the market. This fly mask has a unique design for extra comfort and protection. The mesh has such a shape that it prevents obstruction of vision. This shields your horse from dangerous UV rays. The fleece has a distinctive feature that prevents insects from entering the mask. It resists rubbing.
The distinctive feature is the Equi-Glo® Nite Reflector, which makes the horse easy to see at night. However, it is best to remove this mask at night because it may cause irritation.
It is preferred to reach the left side of your horse when you need to put this fly mask on your horse’s face. There are chances that your horse may frighten and start jumping if you directly put it on. Place the ears carefully through the mask after opening the double locking bolt. You should place the forelock over the mesh and trim. Then, secure the double-locking fastener under the jaw. Just check every side by permitting your fingers to slip comfortably between your horse and the mask. Furthermore, the strap is adjustable.
- Provides maximum protection from flies and other insects
- Comfortable and long-lasting fit
- Protects from UV rays
- It may not perfectly fit your horse’s face
This feature is important. There are different ways to cover the horses, with or without ears; masks are mostly designed for ear coverage.
- With midge protection
- With nose protection
- With padding
- A “sculpted mask” avoids eye irritation by holding a mesh away from the horse’s eye. This feature is suitable for eye sensitive horses.
- With lycra (it provides a good fit, the same way gloves fit our hands)
Fit, Comfort & Breathability
The best-fit property of horse fly masks makes your horse stays calm with no irritation. This feature is the most important of all. As the mask stays on, the chances of protection are enhanced. Unobstructed breathing must be a prime goal while manufacturing any horse fly mask.
Riding or Field Use
This is a very important aspect one should consider while purchasing a horse mask. If you are searching for a fly mask and want to put it on your horse in the field, you should try to get the one that clearly states that it keeps the flies away or particularly serves this purpose. On the other hand, if you seek a mask that you need while riding your horse, you should read the specs clearly of the related products. The other option is fly veils; these are also useful while riding the horse.
The best suitable material mostly used is nylon because of its soft texture. Manufacturers also use micro-mesh or simple mesh in the construction of most of these masks. This feature provides high visibility and doesn’t hinder breathing.
UV & Fly Protection
UV rays damage the eyes and other sensitive areas. This protection provides a wide spectrum of care and safety for your horse.
DurabilitySome horses got irritated when these masks are used. There are chances of rubbing through the surface because of irritation and damaging sensitive parts. That’s why durability is an important feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best fly mask for horses?
Are fly masks good for horses?
Fly masks protect the crucial part of your horse, i.e., the face, from damage due to¬ harmful rays or insect bites. This helps your horse stay healthier. Some of the horses having less pigmentation on their skin or muzzle are more vulnerable to the harmful effects of the sunlight or UV rays. A UV protection fly mask serves this purpose effectively by stopping all harmful rays from reaching the sensitive facial parts of the horse.
Can horses wear fly masks overnight?
It is preferable not to use masks at night. The mask that gives your horse perfect vision during the day time may impair it at night. If the vet recommends keeping masks on overnight, only then should you do that. Otherwise, there is no need to put the mask on all day long.
How do you keep a fly mask on a horse?
The best way to keep on a fly mask is the adjustable design and proper coverage. The items are mostly made with good closure property that doesn’t move when the horse shakes his head or drinks water.
Why do horses wear a fly mask?
People say that where there are horses, there are flies. In order to get rid of flies and other harmful insects, you should use fly masks. Moreover, they stop direct sunlight from reaching horses and harming them. The horses should get better protection, and these masks help to safeguard them from various skin burns in hot water and harmful UV rays.